Monday, May 20, 2019

April Blog

Hi guys! Sorry I am a little late on this one…

April was so great!!
Lola with her popcorn
fundraiser stand

If you remember, when I last wrote the Pet Toy Club had started, and it was so fun! We made a lot of toys and colored posters to promote our popcorn sale to raise money for the Humane Society. By the time Pet Toy Club was over, we had created a couple hundred toys, colored a bunch of posters, and our popcorn sale raised $322!! The Humane Society was so excited to receive our donations. I think it is safe to say we all had a great time. I really appreciated all the help from our Sunset Heights teachers and kids who volunteered.

Next, I went on tour to visit 4th graders at some of the elementary schools in my city of Nashua, NH to tell the kids about the Kid Governor Program and, (hopefully), get them interested in participating next year. We went to Broad St, Main Dunstable, Charlotte Ave, and Birch Hill Elementary Schools. What great audiences they were! The cooperation from all the students was amazing and I had an awesome time!! They asked a lot of great questions and seemed very interested in the program. I think we got the kids excited to have the chance to become next year’s NH Kid Governor! I wonder if the winner will be from Nashua again?
Lastly, I was asked to create a video presentation about the Kid Governor Program and another video about how to make pet toys, and yes... I am on YouTube!

I met up with my chief of staff, Melanie, and the videographer, Anthony, at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at Saint Anselm College. The first video we made was all about how to make pet toys from recycled t-shirts. I was nervous so Melanie had the awesome idea of creating cue cards for me to help keep me on track. After that, the nerves went away and we went to work taping.

Lola with her teacher, Mrs. Foreman
Sometimes I would mess up, but they were so patient. Then, to make the video about the program, I was able to stand up at the podium in their auditorium and control my slideshow from the laptop that was projected onto two huge screens behind me while Anthony recorded my presentation. Many famous politicians have spoken at that podium and I am proud to say that I have too! I love that I can do work and have fun at the same time!

Well, go check out the videos. they're awesome!! Bye guys. Talk to you next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

NHKG Lola's Farewell Address

"I have to be honest — I was never interested in politics before, and I am still not sure if I want to be a politician when I grow up....